According to a recent study by the App Annie Market Index, Google Play’s total app downloads were higher than those in the iOS App Store in Q2 2013. This is as a result of strong performances in India and Brazil
However, Though the iOS App Store still generated 2.3x the revenue despite Google Play having more downloads, the report states.
Key highlights from the study:
- Russia has climbed six spots in the iOS App Store download rankings since Q2 2012 and broke into the top 5 in Q2 2013. This growth put Russia in the unique position as the only other country besides the United States in the top five countries by downloads for both the iOS App Store and Google Play.
- Brazil climbed two spots and joined India and Russia in the top countries by downloads for Google Play, further establishing Google Play’s leadership position in those emerging markets.
- The substantial growth of Music and Social Networking apps helped drive iOS App Store revenue.
- Communications apps surged to #2 behind Games for Google Play downloads.
- The Travel & Local category climbed two spots to #5 in the top categories by revenue for Google Play.
iOS App Store vs. Google Play App Downloads & Revenue